Colorado horse rescue
Photographing Mardi Paws event.
Putting the Nikons down to work hands-on with horses.
Apollo having fun at my expense!
Photo shoot at Coors Field!
Shooting on location in Colorado mountains.
Shooting from my expedition canoe on the Green River, Utah.
Teaching basic digital photo in Breckenridge, Colorado.
Teaching at CMC.
Paddling on Upper Colorado River section.
Telemarking at the National Sand Dunes...and ending up in a French magazine!
Stealing my buddy's camera on a backcountry ski excursion.
Early years...shooting a story on Osprey with a Nikkor 600mm f4 lens.
Early years - Shooting a fire training drill in full turnouts and Scot pack.
Me with '67 Nikon F by a student.
A life in the viewfinder
I picked up a camera at 17 and started selling photos to the local paper.
In college I earned reputation for spot news. As a photojournalist I've shot from choppers, mountain tops, airplanes, boats and hanging off rock walls. I've had the opportunity to photograph a presidential parade. I've captured the pain, passion and joy of the human experience.
Alongside being a photojournalist I was always a writer, editor and designer.
In the years since I've also created a non-profit and served as college vice president of adjunct affairs.
Through it all I've only grown my passion for being in the viewfinder.
I'm still in the viewfinder creating and also focus on teaching the art and business of photography. I mentor former students whose work blows me away. That idea - being blown away by great images - is why I've taught since 1995.
My free time is spent with my rescued dog, volunteering photography for dog rescues, canoeing rivers in the summer and telemark/backcountry skiing in the winter. Thanks for giving me a moment and enjoy my photography!
Recent Awards & Exhibitions
- NEWEST! 8th Annual International Color Awards One honorable mention in Americana category and 6 nominations. Five in Americana and one in Sports category.
- 8th Annual International Black & White Spider Awards Nominated in categories…People & Sports.
- 2016 International Krappy Kamera at SoHo Gallery, NYC Dog Spirit
- 7th Annual International Black & White Spider Awards Nominated in four categories…Fine Art, People, Photojournalism & Sports
- 6th Annual International Black & White Spider Awards Nominee in People, Honorable Mention in Sports
• Earlier International Black & White Spider Awards
- ~ Boys at the Circus
- ~ Sisters - Dreams of our Childhoods
- Center for Fine Art Photography Second Place ~ Portrait (judged by photojournalist Mary Ellen Mark)
- the Art of Seeing book Coors Field & Santa Fe Plaza - Dreams of Our Fathers
- International Unrefined Light Exhibition Pallavacini Lift & Coors Field - Dreams of Our Fathers
- Prix de la Photographie, Paris (Px3) Honorable Mention - Dreams of our Fathers - Santa Fe Plaza
- International Denver International Airport Invitational 2008 Mountain Guide
- International Denver International Airport Invitational 2009 Pallavacini Lift
- Center for Fine Art Photography Colorado Photographers Exhibition (Portfolio Award & Exhibition): "Dreams of our Childhood”
- WPPI International Competition Wedding Photography Humor Category (3 images)
- WPPI International Competition Dog Photography ~ "the Bear"
Meet the Team
I always work with qualified, paid assistants; most often current or former students who exhibit a passion for photography and great customer service.
And it helps if they love dogs!
Photographer, Designer and Provider of Dog Treats
I love the west and capturing it to share with others. My friend, colleague and Harley's co-adopter shot this while we collaborated on a horse rescue story.
Meet Harley. As you can see he accompanies me often and LOVES being in front of my camera! Find more of this mug on my Facebook pages.
Get In Touch
Contact us and learn how we can make you succeed with your photography goals! If you need great photography or want to learn photography contact us now!